Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I watched the sunrise over the serria nevadas and watched it set into newport beach

I saw the sun rise over the Sierra Nevada’s and I saw it set into Newport Beach. I spent 15 hours on a train ride from Sacramento, California back down to Fullerton CA.
I regained my faith in humanity.
What it is about travel that seems to bring out both the best and the worse in mankind? I don’t know but you will never know a person’s true nature until you travel with them.
But as I said I regained my faith in humanity.
Yes, I saw a bunch of sleeze-ball kids with headphones on, blaring whatever garbage they listen to. I saw a lady cuss out one of the conductor’s because she missed her stop. I saw forty year old women reading smutty romance novels. I saw a the state of our nation’s youth, and was appalled.
Yes. I saw a lot of terrible things, but I saw one thing that made up for all the rest.
I was in bus stop in the Bay Area, waiting for the bus that would drive me to the next train station four hours away in San Luis Obispo. The bus wasn’t due for a half hour. So I wandered about the train station searching for something to keep my attention.
I saw out of the corner of my eye a man about the age 25 sitting on a bench by the bathroom door. He looked like every Mexican Gang Banger I had ever seen in my life. Feeling slightly uncomfortable I opted to go sit at the actual bus stop, than sit on the bench next to him for the next twenty minutes. I realize the horridness of my previous statement. But I hope it will be reconciled.
I sat listening to my mp3 playing device, and staring off into nothingness, until the bus arrived.
I sat next to a pleasant young woman and we made some idle chatter before returning to our own little worlds as more people boarded the bus.
For some odd reason I looked up just as the gang-banger boarded the bus. However he was not alone. In front of him were two small girls. They were approximately five and seven years old. On the five year olds back was a purple Tinkerbelle backpack, and on the seven year olds was a red High School Musical back pack.
I continued to observe him through the four hour train. The four year old daughter began getting a little fidgety about a half hour into the ride. So the father pulls her to him, pulls out his laptop and proceeds to watch High School Musical two with his daughter. Even begin to dance a bit in the seat.
The girls took a small nap and afterward their hair was mussed. This is the true shocker. He pulled a brush out of his girls back pack and not only put their hair in pony tail, but their hair wasn’t bumpy and then he proceeded to put their hair in braids.
I was rapidly realizing that I was I had mischaracterized this man.
Most father’s know how to put their daughters hair into loose ponytails that fall out in a few seconds. This man was able to braid his daughters hair as well.
The man got off the bus and as he left I notices a tattoo brandished across his forearm. The word “Misunderstood” in flourished print was there for all to see.
I regained my faith in humanity, because a man who looked like a gang-banger could braid his daughters hair.
I think it’s valid.
Even in the worst of all situations, there is good, if you care to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment